Sunday, June 1, 2014

2014 So Far

It's been a very long time since I've posted so I figured I'd give a little recap for the year so far. It's been a great one so far. 

Back in January I was part of the team who traveled to Leipzig, Germany to do the Leadership Summit. It was a very hard, but very rewarding 90 hour week. We were in an exibition hall that I believe was built in the 80's when there wasn't much thought given to building codes. As a result the weight load for a single point was very low so the pa was 2 smaller main hangs and a bunch of delay hangs all around the room. We had an L'acoustics Kara rig provided by Babbel & Haeger that sounded amazing. We took a monster room, hung what seemed like miles of truss to make a room within the room and I couldn't believe how great it felt.  

It was my first real show with the Yamaha CL-5 and that was fun. Really got to dive into the desk and explore the features of it since we pretty much used every input. It's such a great sounding desk. 

At some point during the conference I had an attender come up and tell me that it was the best sound he had ever heard in that room. Just to have more perspective on his comment I asked how many shows he had seen there and the answer was 3. It wasn't the 300 shows I was hoping for but I'll take best of 3. 

I also used for the first time the dpa 4080 lav on some of our speakers. I was amazed how great that sounded in a huge hall with 8000 people.

Audio Truck on Load in

View of setup from last row in corner

Great pic of FOH with the lit bleacher stairs behind.

Another highlight from the year so far was our Easter services.  To me the center piece was a little green piano.  It was an old piano that our video director found in his neighbors trash a couple years ago. It says Marshall Fields on it so apparently that's where you could buy it.  He brought it in and we got it fixed up and we used it for this song.  You can watch it here.  Song starts at about 3:15.  By the end of the weekend there was a bunch of us who wanted to take this thing home.




Also around this time we installed 2 new Yamaha CL5 consoles in our Lake Side Auditorium.  I love these desks and and so blessed to get to use these every week.


So a lot has happened during the first 5 months of this year.  Hopefully i'll be a little more consistent with posts here about what I'm doing.  I have a couple of other projects that i've been up to that will be fun to share.





No comments:

Post a Comment